The holiday season has arrived, and two things are true. 1) It’s a great time to look ahead at your law firm’s marketing plans for the coming year. 2) It’s also a great time to inject your current year’s marketing plan with some holiday-inspired creativity. This season offers an opportunity for thinking outside the box in your firm’s efforts to attract new clients and satisfy existing ones. It’s the perfect time to enhance your marketing with more of the personalization and fun that leads appreciate, while also reminding them that your firm is the right choice to handle their legal needs. We explore six ways that your law firm can get creative with its legal marketing during the holiday season.
A Yearly Wrap-Up
What better time to reflect and highlight your firm’s biggest accomplishments from the year? An annual wrap-up allows for a bit of bragging by calling attention to all the things your firm achieved in 2022. From the addition of new members to successful case outcomes, potential and current clients appreciate a glimpse at the behind the scenes of your law office. They also want to know that they have chosen a winning legal firm, and a wrap-up can help you instil that confidence.
Not sure what to highlight? Here are some ideas:
- Promotions within the firm. Maybe an associate made partner this year, or a legal assistant passed the bar to become an associate. Use the wrap-up to celebrate your team.
- Weddings, births, and graduations. These types of life events make firm members seem more personable and likeable to prospects and leads.
- Case wins. Whether it was a news-making civil case with a huge settlement or a series of small wins for hundreds of clients, your firm’s case accomplishments demonstrate skill and ability.
Holiday cards are one of the most popular business marketing ideas for the holiday season. A lot of firms routinely send them to current clients, but it is a missed opportunity to not send them to leads as well. It’s a small gesture that goes a long way to making potential clients feel appreciated by your firm.
When thinking about the logistics of sending holiday cards, there are typically two options. Paper cards are sent through the traditional mail. In the age of electronic communications, these can be a pleasant surprise for the recipients. Your firm can purchase a pack of cards and personalize each of them with a hand-written message or have customized cards pre-printed for a quicker process.
Ecards are the most cost and time effective option, with various greeting card companies offering these services. You simply create an account for your firm, choose the card design, and customize the message. Once complete, these holiday cards can be sent to leads and clients through email or messaging.
A Video Greeting
Another creative and potentially fun option is to produce a firm-wide video greeting that can be attached to the homepage of the firm’s website, posted as a blog, or added to your firm’s social media accounts. The video can feature practice leaders solely or it can include all members of the firm. A short one-to-two-minute video is a great way to exhibit some personality while providing clients and leads with a unique holiday greeting. While it does not take a professional video shoot to create a holiday video greeting, you do want to ensure that your firm is well represented with quality video and sound.
While driving growth should not be the main reason for giving back, you cannot deny the impact that charitable actions can have on a law firm’s marketing (and brand) success. Not only does it provide positive exposure, but it also helps define your firm’s brand for past, current, and future clients. Particularly in today’s environment, people want to work with businesses that demonstrate a responsibility to the communities around them. So, if charitable acts are already on your firm’s holiday agenda, why not incorporate them into the marketing plan?
If your firm does not already have an organization or cause in mind, consider these giving options:
- A program where firm members serve meals at a local shelter or soup kitchen
- A Toys for Tots office collection project
- A firm-hosted food drive
- Sponsoring a family in need by providing a holiday meal and/or presents
- Incentivizing firm members to volunteer with a local organization
- Collecting new or gently used coats to donate
- Making a monetary donation in the law firm’s name
Opening your office doors, whether in person or virtually, to share some holiday cheer with current and potential clients can be a great way to network and build valuable relationships. It could be as grand as a formal holiday party with all the trimmings or as simple as a lunchtime potluck. By welcoming clients and leads into your gathering, you are inviting them to personally witness your firm’s office culture and get to know the individuals who work on their legal matters.
Unfortunately, law firm marketing content can be a little redundant at times, especially when consistently writing about the same area of law. The holiday season offers an opportunity to shake up your firm’s content by customizing it for the specifics of the holiday season. Here are some examples:
- A business law firm can offer end-of-year advice for business owners.
- With more travel occurring during this time of year, a personal injury lawyer could create content that highlights highway safety measures for holiday travel
- A criminal defense law firm can offer content about the DUI rates that typically elevate during the holiday season
- A family law attorney could publish content about co-parenting during the holiday season.
The holiday season is the perfect time to market your law firm. With some imagination and creativity, the possibilities are endless.